Each of us has experienced an attack of diarrhea – soft and watery stools. And that has certainly not happened to us only once. When food passes through the digestive system too quickly, this health inconvenience occurs. Diarrhea usually happens due to infection, and is treated by resting, dieting and drinking fluids. Usually isn’t serious and no matter how uncomfortable it gets, there is no room for fear. How To Naturally Stop Diarrhea?
Us, adults, handle diarrhea easier than children. When it happens to children, then it becomes more difficult. Although they quickly overcome children, they recover faster. My kids had diarrhea multiple times, and it was quite exhausting. So I was looking for anything related to diarrhea. In the text below, I will share my insights on how to naturally stop diarrhea. Being a healthcare professional has helped me a bit, but personal experience is essential.
What Is The Cause Of Diarrhea?
Acute diarrhea most often occurs when food poisoning is caused by a viral or bacterial infection and usually lasts from several hours to 7 days. Microorganisms or their toxins cause inflammation of the intestinal mucosa and diarrhea develops. Diarrhea is often associated with cramps, bloating, vomiting, gas and mild fever.
Sometimes diarrhea can be due to hypersensitivity to foods (eg lactose) or medicines (antibiotics). Poisoning with lead, pesticides or some plants can also cause diarrhea. If the diarrhea lasts too long, it may be some chronic conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulosis, hyperactive thyroid gland, inflammatory bowel disease or stress disorder.
How To Protect Yourself And Try To Prevent Diarrhea?
The best way to prevent diarrhea is to stick with our basic hygiene routines. To be honest, we don’t wash our hands enough and we don’t do it right. Washing our hands is especially important after using the toilet and before eating. Children get sick so often due to dirty hands, and it’s a real pity.
Something else is also important, and we face it often – electric dryers. It’s better to wipe your hands in public toilets than to dry them with an electric dryer because it can contain bacteria.
Hygiene In The Kitchen As Another Way To Prevent Diarrhea
- Only use fresh eggs
- Avoid soft and mildew cheeses, unpasteurized milk, soft ice cream, pre-cooked and reheated foods, poorly baked or undercooked meat and packed salad.
- Don’t buy damaged cans, or foods close to their expiry date.
- Cook the meat well, especially the chicken.
- Defrost the frozen food in the refrigerator.
- Do not freeze frozen food again.
- Keep cooked and raw meat close.
- Meat shouldn’t come in contact with other foods.
- Regularly clean the refrigerator and freezer, kitchen appliances and surfaces.
- Boil kitchen towels, wiping cloths and other dishwashers from time to time (this method kills all the bacteria).
- One who has gastroenteritis shouldn’t touch and prepare food for others.
Stress Can Cause Diarrhea
Diarrhea can also be caused by digestive system disturbed by stress. There is also an expression for that – “nervous gut”. When we are under a lot of pressure, the first task is to try to find a way to relieve stress or to master it using some techniques.
Because if it lasts for too long, stress-induced diarrhea can get worse. If you get stress-induced diarrhea, it is best to lie down in a quiet place (the floor is an ideal place) and breathe deeply for a few minutes. This helps to alleviate the psycho-physical tension.
How To Stop Diarrhea Naturally – Preventing Dehydration
The first step to stopping diarrhea naturally is to prevent dehydration. This is even more important if vomiting occurs at the same time. Here are some tips:
- Drink plenty of water and water-based liquids. Drink a little more often.
- To stop diarrhea naturally means to make up for the salt and sugar lost through diarrhea and vomiting. Prepare the juice of 2 strained oranges, half a teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of honey for yourself or your children, then add water to a total of half a liter. Drink a glass of this juice every half hour until the symptoms have subsided.
- It is good to drink soothing herbal teas, thyme, mint, fennel, ginger. These herbs also have antiseptic effects.
- Unsweetened blackcurrant or bell pepper juice helps to reduce intestinal inflammation and stop diarrhea naturally. Vitamin C from juices helps against inflammation.
Special Tips For Children With Diarrhea – How To Stop Diarrhea Naturally
It is very difficult when children get diarrhea and when they are exhausted. I have repeatedly feared for my children and found tips to help them the best. Babies and young children are particularly vulnerable to dehydration and fluid loss in diarrhea and vomiting. If your baby gets diarrhea, here’s how to stop it naturally:
- Call a doctor and consult
- Make sure your child didn’t eat anything toxic or irritating, such as strong spices.
- Give babies to suck on something as often as possible with boiled water.
- If eating from a bottle, then give the child diluted food and boiled water.
- When your baby stops sucking, it is best to give them water, natural apple or oranges juice. The water in which the rice is cooked is also good. This is the ideal natural way to stop diarrhea.
- Wash hands after touching the baby.
Diarrhea – When To See A Doctor?
With infants and young children – if diarrhea lasts longer than 24 hours or severe diarrhea lasts 12 hours.
Ask for help immediately if:
- The child vomits and does not retain fluid, refuses to suck or eat.
- Is dehydrated, dry mouth, inflamed eyes, flaky skin and stops urinating.
- Fontanelle is soft (soft spot on baby’s scalp).
- The baby is constantly crying, or sleepy.
- There’s blood in the stool.
- Body temperature is high.
- It’s suspected that the child ate something poisonous (a herb…)
With older children and adults, seek assistance immediately if:
- Diarrhea lasts 3 days in milder form or 2 days in more severe form
- It’s about the elderly and the weak
- You suffer from frequent infections, taking steroids, antibiotics or other medicines
- Other household members have diarrhea
- You have diarrhea and you are taking contraceptive pills
- The chair is reddish or black
- Drowsiness appears, blurred eyes, flaky skin, dark urine or no urination
Back To Normal After Diarrhea
When diarrhea subsides and you feel better, you can gradually start eating normally in case you ate very little or nothing before. It’s best to start with rice, which is non-irritating and helps to bind the contents of the gut. Living culture yogurt will help to restore the intestinal flora if consumed daily, and taking multivitamin and mineral supplements and preparations daily will restore the balance of nutrients in the body.
You can immediately include apples, ripe banana, and it is good to eat boiled eggs, boiled vegetables and well-cooked chicken, homemade soup. It’s healthy, and it also gives us the strength that we’ve previously lost.
How To Avoid Diarrhea During Traveling
In some foreign countries, we are more likely to contract the local bacteria that are foreign to us and to get diarrhea. Here’s what to do when we go to another country:
- Use only sterilized, boiled or bottled water for drinking. We should also brush our teeth with that water.
- If we visit restaurants then we should look for bottled water again, but with the request to open it in front of us.
- Avoid ice.
- Peel fruits and avoid raw vegetables and salads.
- In restaurants, it is best to eat only cooked food, served hot, such as soups and stews. Foods that can be reheated multiple times should be avoided.
- Wash your hands whenever you can
Homeopathy For Diarrhea
If diarrhea doesn’t disappear after 24 hours, it’s a good idea to try some homeopathic remedies. I didn’t, and if you want, give it a try. Arsenicum is good for food poisoning followed by diarrhea and vomiting. And Kolocinthis is great for diarrhea with severe cramps.
Aromatherapy – How To Stop Diarrhea Naturally
I use aromatherapy often, and if anyone in the house has diarrhea, especially then. Drying oils such as ginger and geranium help with diarrhea, as well as spasmodic oils such as mint oil and chamomile. Melaleuca oil is also good because it has an antiseptic effect.
- Put 3 drops of geranium and ginger oil and 2 drops of mint oil in bathwater. Relax in this flavored bath for 15-20 minutes in warm water. This bath is comfortable on all occasions and ideal for diarrhea.
- Prepare a massage oil of 3 drops of melaleuca oil, 2 drops of mint oil, geranium, sandalwood and 5 teaspoons of sweet almond oil, olive oil or other cold-pressed vegetable oil. Heat the oil and use it to massage your stomach. The massage should be in small clockwise movements. Repeat the massage every few hours.
Acupressure Also Helps With Diarrhea
Press the point of 8 fingers below the lower edge of the knee, 1 finger into the box from the top of the lower leg. Press with your thumb on each leg for 2 minutes. This should help to cope with diarrhea and associated problems.
What Is The Best Food To Eat After Having Diarrhea?
Interestingly, the easiest to digest are apples, ripe bananas, and rice. Shortly after, you can also eat toast, barbecue soup, and light vegetables. Yogurt is also a great choice. Pediatricians are also increasingly advised to cook boiled eggs, which is a cure-all at first, but no longer.
If you want to control diarrhea, not only naturally but also with medication, then probiotics are the best choice. Probiotics contain friendly microorganisms that help restore natural balance in the gut and accelerate recovery. It may sound ugly, but on the pharmacological side, the last century has been called the century of antibiotics, and this one is said to be a century of probiotics. Unfortunately, that says enough about our diet and the health of our bodies.
If you like this text, share it with your friends and (..of course..) pin it for later. ?